This book is changing my life! I have always struggled with liking and accepting my naturally curly hair. Despite the efforts of my mother and others, I always managed to find something wrong with it. I always felt prettier and more confident with straight hair. This book/method teaches you how to embrace, love and take care of your curls It also helps to banish the myth that straight hair is more beautiful, more professional, ect. I've been doing it for less than 3 weeks and I am already loving it, and noticing a difference!
I took this today (just under 3 weeks into the curly girl method)
So basically the major change is that I no longer use shampoo to clean my hair; I know, I know, that sounds really gross, huh? The reason is that curly hair tends to be a lot dryer than other types, and shampoo contains sulfate which strips your hair of its natural oil and dries it out. You can still use shampoo if you want, but it HAS to be sulfate-free (read the labels on everything!). Instead of shampoo (and following what the book suggests) I massage my scalp with conditioner, the key to a clean scalp is the way you massage it. That, by itself is enough to clean the dirt and oil out while moisturizing and nourishing the hair.
There are other steps of course, but the no shampoo is the biggest and first step. If you wanna get started on this major lifestyle change, I suggest checking out this book at your library or buying it off Amazon.com for $8. This website is also awesome with helping you get started: naturallycurly.com. (This page also helps you find salons in your area that specialize cutting curly hair. Can't wait to go!)
I found out about this crazy, awesome "method" from watching a girl named Sarah on youtube. She is so helpful and really detailed, she has a ton of videos on how to take care of your curls using the curly girl method. Watch her! You'll learn lots!
So... Yeah (: I guess I'll just keep posting pictures of my hair transformation. Loving it so far!
Peace and love.


I have always loved your beautiful, red, curly hair. I hope you learn to love it, too. You are mighty special to me.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Aunt Peggy, you have always loved me just for me (: I love you!
ReplyDelete