Wednesday, June 22, 2011

In Memory of Steven Torrey




The last few weeks have certainly been a trial… Aaron’s stepfather, Steven Torrey passed away suddenly on June 7th. He had been diagnosed with liver cancer a mere two weeks before his passing and he spent five of those days in a coma… Aaron and I came down to Arizona (where his mother, Alice, resides) as soon as we could and were blessed to see him the night before he passed—truly a tender mercy from the Lord. We have been here ever since, trying to help Alice out however we can. (Although I’m not sure if we’ve been more help or burden in such a hard time). My heart aches for Alice and the rest of the family. I cannot help but be reminded of my own Mother’s death due to cancer, and experience all of those tender emotions and feelings as vividly as if it were yesterday that she passed. It is impossible to “understand” someone’s grief, pain and sorrow—as everyone experiences the loss of a loved one differently, but I sympathize their loss; especially after losing their natural father just 11 short months ago. I’ll admit it is hard to understand Heavenly Father’s plan for us sometimes, but we have faith that he is in control and everything has a purpose—even if only to refine us into the people we are supposed to become.

Steven will be greatly missed by all who knew him and called him dear. The influence he had on this family is immense. Although I have not known Steve as long as others, I could not help but notice the love he had for Alice, her children, and the gospel of Jesus Christ. He loved Alice’s children as his own, and was accepted into the family with open arms as a father-figure. The thing I remember most about Steve is that he had a story for everything! He mastered the art of storytelling, and never failed to entertain. He had a story for every situation, and it seemed as though he had lived several lifetimes for how many experiences he could recall.

It is my personal belief that guardian angels are our loved ones who have passed through the veil; I believe that my momma is my (and my family’s) guardian angel, and that Steven will continue to watch over and protect this family. Although this is just a personal belief and not doctrine, it brings me great comfort.

Even though we have been surrounded with all this sorrow, I cannot help but feel blessed for the opportunity I’ve had to get to know the Best family even better. I love this family! They are truly amazing!  What an example of love, hope and faith they have been to me and everyone in their community. Thank you to all who have offered prayers and condolences in this family’s behalf. And may the memory of Steven live on.



2 comments:

  1. I love the Spirit that you write with! I love you & I miss you dearly! :) You're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too Angelie! Thank you for your kind words... it has been far too long!

    ReplyDelete